NV Quinta de Santa Eufemia White 10YO

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Quinta de Santa Eufemia White 10YO

Post by JacobH »

NV Quinta de Santa Eufémia 10 Year Old White
Drunk at Vinologia in Oporto, May 2009,

Bottled in an attractive 50cl clear bottle. In a nice touch, the 10-year-old has bronze metalic printing, the 20-year-old silver and the 30-year-old gold. In a nicer touch, the label also has braille!

The colour of this Port gives no indication that it has been aged. A clear straw colour, by sight alone, I would mistake it for a standard white. On the nose there is quite a bit of alcohol. This is followed by a vivid sensation of nuts: almonds and peanuts (perhaps even peanuts) predominating. In the mouth, I found this hard to distinguish from a standard dry white port. A very short taste with a little dry nuttiness with that slightly unpleasant spirt sensation I associate with dry white port. From a standing start at normal port temperature, I was unimpressed. Once the other wines I was drinking had lined my mouth it became pleasant. Certainly less offensive non-chilled than the Taylor Chip Dry. Something that's fun to try, but I don't think I'd seek it out again (unless to serve at a blind tasting :)).