1977 Morgan

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
benread
Niepoort 1977

1977 Morgan VP

Post by benread »

A very recent acquisition (1st of 3 bottles) and which I could not resist opening tonight. Decanted at 9pm and tasted immediately. The cork came out intact, having been kept under two layers of foil and some wax.

Without any prior standing, the wine has decanted very cleanly of a heavy fine sediment. No large flakes in the way you get with Quinta da Corte 1987.The wine is the kind of translucent red I would expect from a 1977.

My unsensitive nose can detect little more than some spirit, but to taste my immediate reaction is licquorice. This port is quite up front - no long lingering aftertaste as such, just a hit and then gentle fade. Not enormous amounts of tannin either.

I doubt this has got a long future ahead of it, but I think it will be perfectly enjoyable for some years to come. If I had to venture a score on the Uncle Tom scale it would be slightly above average amongst the ports I have drunk this year, but with a downward trend for the future. 6-4 I guess.

I will report back on any development tonight and tomorrow.

I am now summonsed to house programmes on TV!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1977 Morgan VP

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Where did you manage to get three bottles of Morgan 1977 at a reasonable price?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.