1977 Delaforce

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

1977 Delaforce Vintage Port

Post by SushiNorth »

Sourced recently from WineConsigners.com for a song. Brought to the NYC 1977 take-2 tasting by SushiNorth on Sean's behalf.
(garrotted on second try, decanted 1 hr, then put in a bottle and brought to tasting)

+0 Light red color. Spirity, and a little cardboardy nose, but hiding. It's very smooth in the mouth, but a bit hot and without much fruit. There's a lot of acid, and a metallic taste like brushed steel.

+2.5 (tasting): Cloudy, raspberry colord. Spirity nose with fruit appearing but still faint. Everyone claimed there's mint, but i don't see it. Tastes nice, nothing distinct coming out to me. It improved over the course of the evening and became smoother, but it was a pretty mediocre port.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1977 Delaforce Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

A pity this didn't show any better. I can be a very nice port.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

heh, in debating whether to buy this bargain, the rationale was "well, the roots liked it..."
JoshDrinksPort
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

So you bought one I liked and one I advised against, and both were bad. Conclusion: best avoid every port I ever mentioned.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

RonnieRoots wrote:So you bought one I liked and one I advised against, and both were bad. Conclusion: best avoid every port I ever mentioned.
Others liked it, actually. Besides, we had plenty of agreement at the TFW tasting :) Some of these smaller port houses are like rolling the dice. One of the reasons I'm shifting more toward the major houses is reliability (with two exceptions: Warres and Grahams, which have been rather unreliable of late!)
JoshDrinksPort
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Delaforce: cloudy complexion. Colour not noted. Nosing, and then tasting, of mint. ‟Port and mint: not complicated, but very drinkable. Acceptable basic port.”