1983 Smith Woodhouse

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1983 Smith Woodhouse

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Deeply coloured wine, dark red and with a centre that was only just opaque. Quite a closed nose, shows sweet and pleasant with lots of cinammonand a bit of heat. Light texture, quite acidic entry but plenty of fruit and a good palate presence. Nice layers of complexity which never quite stop delivering, while all wrapped up in a soft milk chocolate. Quiet on the aftertaste, takes a long time to develop but then lasts a long time. 91/100. Drunk 21 July 2009 after 14 hours double decanting.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1983 Smith Woodhouse

Post by DRT »

A very dark brooding wine. Treacle and blackcurrant on the nose. Smooth and silky entry with blackcurrant and chocolate cherry truffle. Lots of tannin and a nice long finish.

My wine of the night.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

A very nice wine, not quite in the same mould as some other SW's, and a tad short of full maturity.

Pipped by the Ramas Pinto '85 as my wine of the night, but not far behind.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi there,

I had this wine as Derek a couple of times before and I was never disappointed. Great Vintage Port that may get the critics to be not as complex as you would expect from a Smith Woodhouse as well as it tend to be quite tannic and strong in structure (in my humble opinion)
Still again one of the Ports I like but also prefered the Ramos Pinto 1985 that evening.

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain