1966 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1966 Dow

Post by uncle tom »

Oporto bottled in the distinctively shaped bottles with zinc capsules, that the Symingtons subsequently used for all their VP's. I think this is the oldest such bottle that I've opened, and although the cork was somewhat decayed, it was extracted in one piece. The bottle, incidentally, had olive green glass, unlike the brown or opaque bottles used for later bottlings.

Decanted yesterday, fairly approachable immediately after decanting, slightly harsh and mono-dimensional at D + 8hrs, but now at D + 20hrs is showing nice integration.

Most noticeable feature of this wine is it's youth; both in looks and on the palate one could quite easily mistake it for an '87 or '91. It really isn't mature yet, has a fine fruity nose, and a dry finish that goes on and on..

Broadbent says drink now to 2015 - I'd say more like 2015 - 2075

This wine is going to last a very long time..

Score 8-9

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill