1967 Martinez

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1967 Martinez

Post by uncle tom »

One of four bottles bought earlier this year. At first glance I thought I had two bottlings, as two of the bottles were green and the other two brown, but the labels were identical - probably re-used bottles.

Broadbent states that this wine was bottled in Oporto and by Harveys, and nowhere else.

Wrong. But this is not an English bottling, but a rare example of a Welsh bottling - bottled by the 'Park Hotel and Whitehall Rooms, Cardiff'

Decanted two days ago. Decanted cleanly, with big leaves of sediment in the dregs.

Immediately approachable, but better after four hours and perfectly smooth at D + 28. A very dark wine, much more brown than red. Rather weak on the nose, and sweet on the palate, no fire whatsoever. More in the nature of a good old tawny than a VP.

Good juice, and fully mature; but with enough body and sugar to last a very long time.

Score 7-6

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill