2000 Niepoort

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Portman
Fonseca LBV

2000 Niepoort

Post by Portman »

Extremely thick aluminum capsule: my capsule cutter couldnt cut through it.

Very little sediment upon decanting. Medium purple, with a bit of bricking at the edges. Notes of cherries, strawberries, vanilla and menthol on the nose with a little too much of a spirity smell. Sweeter than average with a big blast of tannins. First impression: disjointed and young.

D+2 hours Less spirit, smoother, and starting to integrate.

D+6 Strong grapey smell. Much improved. Spirity smell nearly gone. Worthy of the declaration. I'll try to wait 10 years to drink my next bottle. 94 points.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Re: 2000 Niepoort Vintage

Post by Roy Hersh »

This is clearly one of the all time greatest cask samples I've ever put in my mouth. Mind-blowing intensity on the scale of 1994 Nacional early on. As to the 2000 vintage itself, the Fonseca and Niepoort are at the top of the heap although Nacional is right there too and Vesuvio is killer but just a notch below the other 3. Taylor is better now than it was upon first blush.

In 2003, with Dirk, Bartholomew Broadbent and Richard Mayson in a blind taste-off that I arranged here in Seattle ... we were handed Niepoort and Fonseca in our two glasses. Unanimous decision 4-0 at the fime in favor of Niepoort.

This has the stuffing to last 6-8 decades and no, I am not kidding. Superb juice and as much as I like the 1997, the 2000 Niepoort is in a different league and on a par with how I envisage that 1927 and 1945 Niepoort showed at such a young age.

My daughter will inherit both of my cases of it so that she can enjoy them circa 2040+ to toast to her dad's memory or possibly his frail remaining self. :shock:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

A question from Uncle Tom about which VPs will last 100 years was posted in this thread and has been moved here to attract more attention and keep the TN clean.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

Wow that is a great testimonial Roy. I'll guard my remaining bottles carefully. I got them fairly cheaply, too. 50 Euro each in Portugal. I'll definately be on the lookout for more.