1970 Kopke Sao Luiz

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1970 Kopke S. Luiz

Post by jdaw1 »

A small tasting, with Glenn E. and his family, at Au Relais des Buttes-Chaumont, 86 rue Compans, Paris 19ème.

Links:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1970 Kopke St. Luiz

Post by jdaw1 »

1970 Kopke St. Luiz: mid-opacity and very red. No brown at all. Subdued nose. To taste soft red fruit, perhaps mostly strawberry and a hint of raspberry, a hint of alcohol, and very very long and very very soft. Lovely port. Easily WOTN.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1970 Kopke S. Luiz

Post by Glenn E. »

I think this was my first real tasting experience with a Kopke Vintage Port. It was certainly my first S. Luiz. I've had some of the much younger Kopkes (2000 and 2005, as I recall) at store tastings, but those never really allow you the time to do a proper tasting.

1985 Kopke S. Luiz Vintage Port
Color: no note due to poor lighting.
Nose: soft with a very faint whiff of alcohol and a cotton candy-like sugar. Soft and very ripe strawberries. Later, some very milky caramel.
Palate: soft raspberries, possibly some strawberries, and faint heat. Slight but present tannins. Mild acidity. Medium sweet with a medium full body. After tasting around, the heat here moved up a notch to medium.
Finish: mild, pleasant warmth with ripe strawberries. Very long for a 1970.

Score: 93 points. WOTN, though for me it was much closer than for Julian. (I think I liked the Qv07 more than Julian did.) My family all thought it was the nicest and easiest to drink also.
Glenn Elliott