2000 Quinta da Eira Velha

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

2000 Quinta da Eira Velha

Post by angeleyes »

This TN was split from this one by DRT.

In the end, I opened one. Couldn't wait :roll:

No problems removing the cork this time. Decanted with very fine sediment at the very end of pouring. Notes as per Derek's, very fruity and thick, and still dark. At first, tasted a touch simple like a reasonable LBV, but after 2 hours some of the fruit has blown off to reveal some structure, though there does seem to be something missing during the (long) finish. A touch of heat to complement the acidity, with some dry tannin. I'd say it is approachable now (especially with homemade steak and mushroom pie!), not sure how it would age but it has enough to it to keep for several years at least.
Mark
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Re: 2000 Quinta da Eira Velha

Post by angeleyes »

IMG_0704.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG (39.86 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
No mention of Sainsbury's on the cork! Noticed the label states it's shipped by Symingtons.

+24 hours - Has developed. Sweet vanilla and chocolate now, reminds me of the Graham LBV '01, but with tannic bitterness at the end. Sort of like good dark chocolate in a glass :D

Good port.
Mark
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Re: 2000 Quinta da Eira Velha

Post by angeleyes »

+48 hours

Fading away now, leaving juicy acidity, still a fair amount of tannin and some chocolate. Will have to be polished off this evening (which won't be a problem!).
Mark