2000 Quinta da Eira Velha

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

2000 Quinta da Eira Velha

Post by Zelandakh »

2000 Martinez Quinta Da Eira Velha
Courtesy of the nice Mr Sainsbury I'm starting a new thread on MzEV00.

Badged as "Sainsbury's Vintage Port 2000 Quina Da Eira Velha" Produce of Portugal as part of the Taste the Difference range.

OK, live typing rather than recorded...the bottle is foiled and plastic wrapped underneath so it shouldn't be air damaged and leakages shouldn't arise if laid down. The cork is real cork but this first bottle was completely tinder dry leaving a completely trashed cork. Note - recommend very careful removal to avoid breaking it!

Colour: Very dark.
Decanting: Gelatinous dregs and a lot of sediment particles free floating means that filter paper / muslin would be recommended.

Immediate glassful:
Legs: Legs weak and watery.
Nose: Very little nose and given the above, I was expecting it to be spirity.
Taste: Given the lack of nose, I wasn't expecting much. Very thin on the grape side and unpolished on the Aguardente side. Feels like the two have been introduced recently and have yet to have the first dance. They've certainly not had dinner together yet.

Decanting plus 30 minutes:
Legs: Significantly improved. Thick and rather sugary.
Nose: More than initially but still distant.
Taste: Still really spirity.

It pains me to say it but I'm going to have to leave this a while and come back to it.

A disappointing 80/100 thus far.
Nick
-----
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

Re: 2000 Martinez Quinta Da Eira Velha

Post by Zelandakh »

Decanting +1 day:
Nose: Jammy, plummy. Much more cohesive.
Legs: Infinitely better. More structured, good cling. Looking much more like a vintage port.
Colour: Still very dark with a very purple meniscus.
Mouth feel and taste: Thickening up, less watery. Nicely peppery without too much heat. Improved depth. Greatly improved cohesion - tasting like a vintage port now. Good length of flavour with a medium length of pepper.

Scored at +1 day from decanting: 88/100.

Pleased I got some of these and really pleased I didn't sink it last night when it was rubbish.
Nick
-----