1996 Fonseca Guimaraens

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

1996 Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port

Post by angeleyes »

Decanted, with plenty of small chunks.

Lovely translucent scarlet colour fading slightly to the rim. Cork came out cleanly, but strongly smelling of TCA.

D+0
However the wine has no evidence of the cardboard stink - the nose just isn't revealing much at all. In the mouth, still not giving me anything. There's heat, a firm tannic streak and some bright acidity. Nothing else to speak of. Seems to be hiding away at the moment, will see if it reveals anything tomorrow.
Mark
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Re: 1996 Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port

Post by angeleyes »

On reflection not really scarlet (that would be weird). More a deep purpley red with a light rim.

Anyway

D+14.5
Nose starting to reveal something, but still elusive. Still hiding, finish is a little medicinal. Needs more time, but it is a well balanced wine.
Mark
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Mark, I have from 1996 Sandeman Vau Vintage Port which needs a lot of air. Even after 72 hours it was in a decent condition. Due to the vintage certainly not a blockbuster at all but a focus and depth one can find on the Ruby site only in a VP. Perhaps the FG will reward patience too.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Where did you get the bottle? If one of the supermarkets, consider returning it for a replacement - that very flat nose and palate is very typical of a mildly corked port
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

AHB wrote:that very flat nose and palate is very typical of a mildly corked port
You are probably right, though the only TCA I could detect was from the cork; the wine itself has no such smell.
It is, however, still very drinkable especially considering the price paid (£10).

That said, I had a claret-style wine (from Bergerac) a few months ago that had a similarly smelly cork - it had little nose and even less in the mouth, the TCA only became noticeable the following day.

One to put down to experience.
Mark