NV Taylor Ruby (First Estate)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

NV Taylor Ruby (First Estate)

Post by angeleyes »

EEK :shock:
Mark
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: NV Taylor First Estate

Post by DRT »

angeleyes wrote:EEK :shock:
Ditto. This is a very weak attempt at a premium ruby and, IMHO, not worthy of carrying the Taylor brand.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

I hate to say this, but it has improved overnight. But the nose is not dissimilar to generic Aussie Shiraz, and the finish seems to end before it starts - it's a bit sudden! Then it starts to cloy. Still, I don't think it'd be a bad one to serve to non-port drinking friends-of-friends (while you sip at something rather better) :lol:
Mark
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

angeleyes wrote:EEK :shock:
Most to the point tasting note ever! :lol:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

angeleyes wrote:I hate to say this, but it has improved overnight. But the nose is not dissimilar to generic Aussie Shiraz, and the finish seems to end before it starts - it's a bit sudden! Then it starts to cloy. Still, I don't think it'd be a bad one to serve to non-port drinking friends-of-friends (while you sip at something rather better) :lol:
I opened a bottle of this a few weeks ago and had the same first impression as you did. I then left the bottle sitting for about a month and found that it had softened considerably but was still not a nice glass of port. However, given that the people who buy this are likely to pop and pour immediately they will recieve that initial "EEK-factor" and are not likely to be impressed. What is most confusing to me is that this is produced by the same people who make Fonseca Bin 27, Croft Distinction and a range of excellent LBVs. This one just doesn't sit in the same league as any of those for me and I can't think of any good reason why it shouldn't be able to.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn