1991 Fonseca Guimaraens

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1991 Fonseca Guimaraens

Post by RonnieRoots »

Tasted 15/03/2010.
Recently I tasted some 1991's that seem to be ageing faster than expected, so I was curious to see how this one would hold up.

Upon decanting, the colour was much darker than expected: beautiful black / red, with lots of intensity. Lots of very fine sediment. At D+0 the nose is closed, slightly spirity and a tad dusty. Clearly in need of time in the decanter. To taste at this stage it showed very young. Medium body, but with a powerful backbone. Lovely strawberries, light cherries and boysenberries. Spicy, red chilli finish, with lots of sweetness coming through. Rather tight and tannic. Although it is powerful to taste, it is by no means a powerhouse.

We drank the bottle around D+4 with a group of friends, and I didn't make any notes there. The bottle was very popular and gone in a flash. That should say enough about the quality.

I saved the glass with the dregs to taste afterwards, at D+7. Still somewhat closed on the nose. The flavours are now much softer, with nice layers of sweet fruit, and also some leather and tobacco on the background. The finish is still spicy.

This bottle was clearly opened and drank too soon. I didn't expect it to be so young, and was very surprised! A very good port that will easily reward 10 more years of cellaring.