1955 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1955 Taylor (flawed bottle)

Post by DRT »

Emergency pop-n-pour :nirvana:

This is one of three very dodgy and leaky bottles that I purchased recently for the equivalent of nothing.

Bottom shoulder fill in a strange brown Avery's embossed bottle. Decanted very cleanly. Very light colour but just a hint of red in what is otherwise a very mature golden tawny colour. Nose of toffee and oranges. Thick and viscous mouthfeel - very oxidated. Cadbury's Fruit and Nut taste with a little heat on the end and then very dry in the finish, which is very long and quite delicious.

This bottle is quite obviously bu88ered and not representative of what is stamped on the cork but it is surpirisingly pleasant to drink. My biased arithmetic tells me that I purchase this bottle for around £12 so I am certainly not disappointed :wink:

Most of it is going in the fridge for tomorrow and it will be interesting to see what it is like when given time to open up (or die).

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1955 Taylor (flawed bottle)

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:This is one of three very dodgy and leaky bottles that I purchased recently for the equivalent of nothing.
Ah, so you traded it straight up for a 1975? :wink:
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

D+1hr 30min
I can now taste cigar smoke in the finish.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The partner to this bottle was opened here.
Ernest H. Cockburn