2004 Quinta do Infantado LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2004 Quinta do Infantado LBV (unfiltered)

Post by JacobH »

An unfiltered LBV, bottled in 2009. Almost no sediment nor ingress into the driven cork.

At 0+ hours, this is very dark purple, still leaving a notable trace of colour as it swirls around the glass. On the nose, there is that certain grapyness of a young vintage port, along with a surprisingly long-lasting and beautiful floral scent. There is perhaps, also, a touch of alcohol and, slightly unexpectedly, something else that reminds me of immature nuts.

In the mouth, I am immediately taken by this Port’s dryness and acidity, the latter being quite startling with a sensation no dissimilar to a shot of lemon being added. This is followed by a pretty, rounded fruit--red currants predominately--and then an aggressive tannic structure which grabs the back of the throat.

I think this needs more time. Both in the glass and in the bottle. Not an easy wine to drink at the moment, but one which I think deserves some respect.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2004 Quinta do Infantado LBV (Unfiltered)

Post by JacobH »

At 23+ hours the nose has matured and settled: it is slightly less grapy; still very floral; and with a certain amount of red currants.

In the mouth, much as yesterday, but perhaps a little more mellow, with less immediate acidic attack.