NV Graham Tawny 10YO

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Graham Tawny 10YO

Post by JacobH »

A dark amber in colour. I didn’t get much of a chance to assess its nose. In the mouth, a little acidity, followed by some gentle fruit. The aftertaste started slightly bitter but then faded into a quite long-lasting rose. There was little in the way of tawny secondary flavours (particularly of caramel) which I might expect from a ten-year-old, although the primary fruits had faded. Nice, but not a match for some of the other 10-year-olds on the market.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: N/V Graham 10 Year Old Tawny

Post by JacobH »

I had though that this was the first time I’d written a note about this wine, although I have drunk a couple of times before. However, looking through my notes, I notice that at some unidentifiable point in the past I said:
A solid tawny, but perhaps not as interesting as some of the other options.
I still agree with this.
Mark D
Cheap Ruby

Post by Mark D »

Hmn...I think Graham's 10 yr is actually one of the best aged 10 yrs out there. I prefer it over Dow for sure. Taylor's comes close.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Mark D wrote:Hmn...I think Graham's 10 yr is actually one of the best aged 10 yrs out there. I prefer it over Dow for sure. Taylor's comes close.
I probably should have started my tasting note with a disclaimer that as someone from the UK, I don’t really have a palate for tawny Ports...
That said, though I haven’t tried the Dow, I agree the Taylor is quite similar (albeit that it’s a couple of years since I’ve drunk it, so I might be misremembering). Of the other 10-year-olds I’ve tried, I would put the Ramos Pinto Qunita De Ervamoira and the Gould Campbell in a league above (to adopt Richard Mayson’s analogy), and the Niepoort in a class above either of those.
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

Just to add my two penn'orth, I rather prefer the tawny styles, though 10 year olds (and their Colheita equivalents) are, to me, better as a chilled aperitif. Double the age and it's a far superior drink; sadly the price doubles too :(
Mark
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

JacobH wrote:Of the other 10-year-olds I’ve tried, I would put the Ramos Pinto Qunita De Ervamoira and the Gould Campbell in a league above (to adopt Richard Mayson’s analogy), and the Niepoort in a class above either of those.
I agree with that, and I'm not someone from the UK and I do have a palate for Tawny Ports. :wink:

I also agree with angeleyes, though, that tawnies don't really come into their own until the 20-year old style. My preference for Colheitas is closer to 30 years old.
Glenn Elliott
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

angeleyes wrote:Just to add my two penn'orth, I rather prefer the tawny styles, though 10 year olds (and their Colheita equivalents) are, to me, better as a chilled aperitif. Double the age and it's a far superior drink; sadly the price doubles too :(
I was in two minds as to whether to stick an ice-cube into this to cool it down. I think, on reflection, I probably should have done!

At least the temperature here has cooled enough for us to revert to drinking real Port again :wink: