1999 Taylor Terra Feita

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1999 Taylor Quinta de Terra Feita

Post by jdaw1 »

TTF99, because it was seen in Oddbins the single-bottle overpricing hereby acknowledged and I wanted to taste it.

At d+0 very dark, almost black, with a purple rim. The taste is all Taylor backbone, without fruit. Very tannic, strong acidity, drier than medium-sweet. Fruit? Maybe I could convince myself that there’s a trace of plum, but maybe there isn’t. It comes across as a great component of a great port, but not quite complete by itself.

More anon.

WS1
Cruz 1989

Re: 1999 Taylor Quinta de Terra Feita

Post by WS1 »

Hi Julian,

Terre de Feita 1999 is a quite dry Port. In my eyes also a good one (good structure) but it is also clear that the port is from a weak year. Was on sale in Majetic 2 years ago for 17.75£

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

D+4hr: much softer. The tannins had lessened, though the acidity hadn’t. Still light late-palate. Other found figs and blackberries; I didn’t, the plums having grown enough to definitely exist. I preferred as a pop-and-pour. Still eminently drinkable port.

My host will post tomorrow, an inch having been saved in the decanter for D+1D.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:At d+0 very dark, almost black, with a purple rim. The taste is all Taylor backbone, without fruit. Very tannic, strong acidity, drier than medium-sweet. Fruit? Maybe I could convince myself that there’s a trace of plum, but maybe there isn’t. It comes across as a great component of a great port, but not quite complete by itself.
That rather accords with the traditional view of the Taylor's blend: Terra Feita provides the structure and Vargellas the fruit and nose. I wonder how well Terra Feita will do in the long term? The older Vargellas were notable for the lack of structure, so it might win the long game.