1970 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1970 Taylor vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Deep red, solid colour. Huge nose lifting out of the glass, full of christmas mincemeat. Thick and unctious in the mouth. Big flavours, very lively and with terrific complexity. Very spicy and with lovely soft tannins. A big aftertaste and a huge finish, with dark chocolate all over the fruit. Excellent port with lots of life ahead of it. 91/100. Drunk 15 July 2010.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Re: 1970 Taylor vintage port

Post by Chris Doty »

Very nice port. Again, a bit of heat and spice, lacking a little bit of fruit, richness, and originality. Like most of the wines at this tasting, it was difficult for me get much on the nose. I noted that this bottle seemed to get a bit worse over the course of the evening. Good, but not killing me. 88/89 points.

Was heartbroken to learn that this was the 1970 Taylor. I own a bottle of this, and had very high hopes for the wine. Strangely, Wolfgang said that this wine was the best bottle of the 70 taylor that he's had, but that it also wasn't a good bottle. that's not what i was hoping for him to say :(