1994 Tesco

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: TN of Mystery Port, to be identified later

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Not a stab in the dark - a reaction to the quoted price and the fact you are in France.
So without reference to the colour or taste. Hmmm. Some might call that a wild stab in the dark.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

So you are suggesting that anyone who guesses based on someone else's description of the taste, colour and nose without being within 300 miles of the glass is not having a stab in the dark?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

There are others for whom it would be a wild guess. But you should know.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I am going to completely ignore your last statement and take a wild stab in the dark...

Is it a 1994 VP produced by Symington Family Estates for Tesco that might or might not be Quarles Harris?
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

And is the major flaw that is becoming more obvious anything to do with the size of the bottle?
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:I am going to completely ignore your last statement and take a wild stab in the dark...

Is it a 1994 VP produced by Symington Family Estates for Tesco that might or might not be Quarles Harris?
Yes! Found at the Epicerie Anglaise, 6 boulevard Magenta, so just north-east of République. There were (emphasise past tense) in stock two bottles.
DRT wrote:And is the major flaw that is becoming more obvious anything to do with the size of the bottle?
Did it need saying?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1994 Tesco (Symington)

Post by DRT »

You see! I knew my analytical approach would work out the answer in the end.

You should inform the shop keeper that you would not be insulted if he replenished his stock.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:You should inform the shop keeper that you would not be insulted if he replenished his stock.
I had already planned same.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Is it a 1994 VP produced by Symington Family Estates for Tesco that might or might not be Quarles Harris?
QH owns no vineyards. They use whatever bought-in or left-over grapes can make good juice (for it often is good juice). Your phrasing suggests that anything made by the Symingtons with grapes not grown themselves is QH. If that isn’t what you meant, in what sense can this, or anything without a Quarles Harris label, be Quarles Harris?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Did DRT really just blind-guess a Port correctly based on someone’s else’s tasting note? I call foul-play. This has all the hallmarks of a far-Eastern betting cartel scam...
jdaw1 wrote:QH owns no vineyards. They use whatever bought-in or left-over grapes can make good juice (for it often is good juice). Your phrasing suggests that anything made by the Symingtons with grapes not grown themselves is QH. If that isn’t what you meant, in what sense can this, or anything without a Quarles Harris label, be Quarles Harris?
I thought that the Symingtons attempted to run their brands as if they were still independent shippers. That would mean that although Quarles Harris did and does not own any shippers, the Port used to make it mostly comes from the same independent quintas each year. In that way they can preserve something of a house-style. You could therefore have something without a Quarles Harris label on it which is essentially the Quarles Harris blend, much in the way that a blend of Vargellas, Terra Feita, Junco (etc.) could still sensible be referred to as a ‟Taylor’s”, even if it was sold under a Tesco label.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:Did DRT really just blind-guess a Port correctly based on someone’s else’s tasting note? I call foul-play. This has all the hallmarks of a far-Eastern betting cartel scam...
Of course, he wasn’t at all helped by his recently posting me a Tesco 1994, nor by
DRT wrote:There are others for whom it would be a wild guess. But you should know.
JacobH wrote:I thought that the Symingtons attempted to run their brands as if they were still independent shippers. That would mean that although Quarles Harris did and does not own any shippers, the Port used to make it mostly comes from the same independent quintas each year. In that way they can preserve something of a house-style. You could therefore have something without a Quarles Harris label on it which is essentially the Quarles Harris blend, much in the way that a blend of Vargellas, Terra Feita, Junco (etc.) could still sensible be referred to as a ‟Taylor’s”, even if it was sold under a Tesco label.
Fair. How consistent a set of sources does QH use?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:Of course, he wasn’t at all helped by his recently posting me a Tesco 1994, nor by
jdaw1, not DRT, wrote:There are others for whom it would be a wild guess. But you should know.
Ah, mis-understood the importance of that comment!
jdaw wrote:Fair. How consistent a set of sources does QH use?
A very interesting question, to which I do not know the answer. Perhaps one to ask the next time someone meets someone in the trade?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

When the Tesco BOB 1994 first appeared on the shelf about three years ago the label ststed that it was produced by Quarles Harris. My assumption at the time was that it was the QH94 relabelled specially for Tesco. Later releases omit the reference to QH. It might or might not be a different wine to that which was first sold under the Tesco brand name.h
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:When the Tesco BOB 1994 first appeared on the shelf about three years ago the label ststed that it was produced by Quarles Harris. My assumption at the time was that it was the QH94 relabelled specially for Tesco. Later releases omit the reference to QH. It might or might not be a different wine to that which was first sold under the Tesco brand name.h
Maybe the Symingtons decided to protect the QH a brand a little?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I seem to remember a discussion at some stage as to whether two blends were being sold as the Tesco 1994, with one (perhaps the Quarles Harris blend) being much better. Am I imagining that?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:I seem to remember a discussion at some stage as to whether two blends were being sold as the Tesco 1994, with one (perhaps the Quarles Harris blend) being much better. Am I imagining that?
Perhaps in this TN.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
JacobH wrote:I seem to remember a discussion at some stage as to whether two blends were being sold as the Tesco 1994, with one (perhaps the Quarles Harris blend) being much better. Am I imagining that?
Perhaps in this TN.
Also discussed here and here.

This one incorrectly indexed.
Ernest H. Cockburn