1963 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1963 Graham vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

From a bottle opened in sympathy with the fellow TPF members meeting at The Crusting Pipe on a night when I was not able to join them.

A bottle that was ullaged to mid-shoulder. A beautiful colour; red, but almost a deep burnt sienna; crystal clear. Open and inviting nose, full of of dusty candied cherries, with a gorgeous tobacco to it. Worth sniffing and smelling for ages; tantalising and teasing for what will come with that first sip. The first sip shows slightly burnt sugar at first, which opens and grows in an amazing way. This is rich and deep, full of power and presence but with a fabulous balance. There is a massive spiciness underlying all the sweet, secondary fruit but it is the fruit that dominates. Tannins are almost fully resolved but just give a little support to the structure. The aftertaste is monumental; mouthfilling and over 2 minutes in length; full of red licorice and maraschino cherry.

This is an absolutely amazing port, and one of the best bottles of 1963 Graham I have had for a long time. Perhaps the 14 hour decant was the crucial key to revealing such a great showing. 96/100. Drunk 6 February 2011.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1963 Graham vintage port

Post by RAYC »

I would have paid for your train fare if I had known you were opening that little chestnut.

Or at least suggested moving the offline to Berkshire!
Rob C.