1963 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1963 Warre

Post by jdaw1 »

Warre 1963, a continuation of the serial vertical that started with the Warre 1960. The bottle glass has “WARRE 1963† upon it (good folks: thus labelled forever), and the front paper label is headed “A Frank Schoonmaker Selection†, with, a little below, in capitals, “Purveyor to Her Majesty the Queen of Denmark’s Household†. It also says “25/32 QT.†, increasingly the likelihood that this was bottled for the US market. VDP label number (please team, let’s start recording these—even though I don’t yet know why) SY 563221 1.

There will be photos of bottle (front and back), capsule, seal, cork and wine, but only when I get back to my main computer, to which the camera can be connected. Subscribe to this thread to be notified thereof.

The author of the back label of this Warre 1963 wrote:WARRE’S
VINTAGE PORTO

Vintage Porto is a selection of the very finest Porto wines of an outstanding year.

Vintage Porto is kept in cask for two years and is then bottled while it is still very full-bodied and fruity. It continues to age in bottle and over the years it throws the heavy deposit which is characteristic of all Vintage Portos.

This natural deposit in the bottle requires that care be taken to ensure that the wine is served clear and we recommend the following procedure:

1). Stand the bottle upright for a few hours.

2). Draw the cork gently to avoid shaking the bottle.

3). Pour the wine carefully into a decanter ensuring that the deposit is left in the original bottle.

The majority of Vintage Porto is shipped to England where it graces the table of Royalty and is served as a dessert wine at all Royal Banquets, important dinners, exclusive London Clubs, superior hotels and restaurants and in the homes of the most exacting connoisseurs of fine wine. Traditionally all Royal and important toasts are drunk in Vintage Porto.

WARRE & CA. LDA.
ESTABLISHED 1670.
Marvellous instructions, though slightly ignored: it went through an unbleached coffee filter at 14:00 on Sunday 12th August 2007.

D+0: an even pale brick red, though, like the W60, of only moderate saturation. Thin tears, fast. Predominant nose is alcohol, though also red fruits (and I can’t identify which). To taste, a mouth-filling rich softness, of great length. Lovely stuff. Slightly past its richest prime, but still huge soft old port.

D+3 hours: the wife says “it’s good†. The colour still lacks great depth, but seems more ruby than at D+0. Same tears. Nosing of, well, port! Mouth-feel more alcoholic than before, and less long, though fruitier. The missus detected “stewed fruit†; the mother-in-law “prune and fig†. I might agree with the fig, but not the prune. My T+0 hand-written note said “8-7† (that being an UncleTomScore), but at T+3h I’m thinking 7-6. Maybe three hours decanting a little too much for Warre 1963 (heresy on TPF!).

Edit: the Warre 1977 was drunk on Wed 15 Aug 2007; the Warre 1985 on Fri 17 Aug 2007.
Last edited by jdaw1 on 01:40 Mon 20 Aug 2007, edited 1 time in total.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Warre 1963 pictures

Post by jdaw1 »

Front label

Back label

Bottle number

Capsule
Imagen
Wine