1985 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1985 Warre

Post by jdaw1 »

Warre 1985, the final instalment of the four-part serial vertical of Warre that started with Warre 1960 on Sat 11 Aug 2007, moved on to Warre 1963 on Thu 9 Aug 2007, and then the Warre 1977 on Wed 15 Aug 2007.

There will be photos of bottle (front and back), capsule, seal, cork and wine, but only when I get back to my main computer, to which the camera can be connected. Subscribe to this thread to be notified thereof.

IDVP# 959526. The foil marked “L3328†, though why I know not. Also a green clover-leaf sticker saying “From the cellar of Marge & Tom Monaghan†, as well as a blue new-York Sotheby’s sticker. As it should be, glass marked “WARRE 1985† (no possessive).
The author of the back label of this Warre 1985 wrote:WARRE’S
VINTAGE PORTO

Vintage Port is a selection of the very fines wines of an exceptional year. All Vintage Port throws a deposit or ‘crust’ as it has been aged in bottle since it was two years old, and its exceptional flavour and bouquet is a characteristic of its development in the bottle.

To ensure that none of this deposit reaches one’s glass, let the bottle stand upright for a few hours then draw the cork gently and pour the wine slowly and carefully into a decanter, leaving the deposit in the original bottle.

Warre’s is the oldest British Port Shipper with a history spanning more than three centuries.

The fine reputation that Warre’s enjoys worldwide is in large measure due to the exceptional quality of its Vintage Ports.

These are drawn from prime vineyards in the Pinhão and Rio Torto valleys, traditionally recognised as the finest Port growing areas.
I haven’t bothered typing the tedious health warning.

Decanted 17:15 Fri 17 Aug 2007. Cork rather dry for most of its length; extracted whole.

D+0: Good red colour, edge by pink. Good nose, rich Warre. Then summonsed for dinner.

D+2 hours: same glorious ruby red. Lovely mouth-feel, great length, and tasting of, well Warre. Aveda’s nose (yes: the man is a ‘nose’ for Aveda) says “blackcurrant, maybe, a touch of orange peel, it’s so well harmonised that it’s not easy. Yes, I think I prefer Porto to red wine†.

A lovely port with a great future. UncleTomScore = 7-8. Very fine.
Last edited by jdaw1 on 01:39 Mon 20 Aug 2007, edited 1 time in total.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Warre 1985 pictures

Post by jdaw1 »

Front label

Back label

Bottle number

Capsule

Cork and wine