2004 Reccua LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2004 Reccua LBV (unfiltered)

Post by JacobH »

2004 Réccua LBV (unfiltered)
Réccua Port is made by Caves Vale do Rodo, a Régua-based co-operative, apparently one of the first companies to export Port directly from the Douro in the 1980s. They also seem to make quite an extensive range of table-wines, including a sparking Douro white which isn’t something I’ve seen before!

This is an unfiltered LBV, bottled in 2008.

I feel I have already spent too much time testing this Port on the nose, but after 90+ minutes of decanting time, I found this quite subdued with the grapyness of a young vintage Port predominating. However, the aroma does not grab me like a young Vintage Port: the grapes seem to be the primary aromas of this Port. Behind that there is a little rounded fruit, perhaps red currants and a lingering spiciness.

In the mouth, I am struck by how subdued this wine is. There is no immediate hit of sugar, acid or fruit. Some furry tannins form on my tongue, there is a little sensation of grapes in the back of my throat, followed by some sugar which fades quite quickly into sticky nothingness.

This is very straight-forward, simple Port. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it; there is no fiery kick to the aftertaste nor astringency or bitterness. However, it is not very exciting and shows almost no complexity. If this were a Ruby, it would be fine, but for an LBV (and sold at LBV prices) it is perhaps not as exciting as one would expect. Perhaps a little redolent (and here I am making all sorts of assumptions about the shipper) of a Baixo Corgo Port? Anyway, this is certainly nice to try, and with 3 years in the bottle, drinking well but perhaps not an experiment I would repeat.