NV The Port Society Finest Reserve

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

NV The Port Society Finest Reserve

Post by DRT »

Tasted at this event on 19th July 2011.

Tom/Ray, please correct the description of this wine if I have got it wrong.

I understand this to be a blend produced by Quevedo exclusively for The Port Society. Tom and Ray can perhaps expand on what the blend contains?

Dark, bright ruby red. Loads of fresh fruit on the nose with some vanilla. A good weight with lots of dark fruit and spice followed by big dry tannins and good acidity. A bit raw and green but clearly a good quality wine.

I don't think this wine is ready to drink and would benefit from at least three to five years in bottle to soften around the edges. That said, it would stand up against many of the big brand unfiltered LBVs and is better than any ruby reserve I can recall tasting recently.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
oscar quevedo
Fonseca LBV

Re: NV The Port Society Special Reserve

Post by oscar quevedo »

Derek,

I'm glad to know that all our blending efforts during a cloudy and rainy morning spent at the tasting room, turn out in a nice blend! The idea was to make a blend with good structure and complexity, with a lot of aging potential. And as 2008 Ports have a lot of this, it was not that hard. I'm curious to see how this Port is going to age.

Cheers!