1980 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1980 Graham

Post by RAYC »

Opened on 1 August 2011 in celebration of England's dominant win in second test against India.

Very soft cork, depressed 0.25cm into bottle with initial pressure, revealed to be soaked through on extraction, with bottom half disintegrating in bottle and requiring the coat-hanger treatment.

Nice smell on decanting, but not room-filling, and then drunk immediately.

D+0-3hrs: a bit watery to taste with distracting heat on the finish - disappointing. Some mint and mollasses more prominent by +3hrs, but nothing to write home about.

D+ 24hrs: whilst the colour was still quite evolved (strikingly brown compared to Dow 1980), this had put on significant weight and concentration. Now had a nice spicy menthol bouquet, kirsch/licqourice taste (rather than brimming with fruit) but nice tertiary characteristics and the finish had integrated well, with some comforting (not unpleasant) heat remaining. This is quite a sweet port - lots of brown sugar - but still enough tannin to give it a bit of chew and make me think this will last a while yet. Very enjoyable on this second day - at the right price, i definitely want to buy more, but i can imagine AHB/WS1 regarding it as a bit simple for them to get too excited about.

The first time i have experienced such a dramatic change overnight.
Rob C.
RAYC

Re: 1980 Graham

Post by RAYC »

RAYC wrote:at the right price, i definitely want to buy more
cheapest uk case price seems to be approx. £480 excl. VAT. Not horrible but at that level there are others i want to stock up on first.
Rob C.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

RAYC wrote:D+ 24hrs: whilst the colour was still quite evolved (strikingly brown compared to Dow 1980), this had put on significant weight and concentration. Now had a nice spicy menthol bouquet, kirsch/licqourice taste (rather than brimming with fruit) but nice tertiary characteristics and the finish had integrated well, with some comforting (not unpleasant) heat remaining. This is quite a sweet port - lots of brown sugar - but still enough tannin to give it a bit of chew and make me think this will last a while yet. Very enjoyable on this second day - at the right price, i definitely want to buy more, but i can imagine AHB/WS1 regarding it as a bit simple for them to get too excited about.
:) I thought I am not that bad. I must say though I am a big fan of Graham 1980. May I ask how long the bt was stationary (in your cellar) before you opened it? Most older wines/ports do not like being moved around. Hence I try to give them rest of 0.5 years + after being moved. Also I think you did not give the Graham the time it needs. Please next time (if you have bts left), stand up the bt for a day or so, open it 3 hours before decanting and let it breathe; then decant it for at least 1h. With this treatment you should get you more out of this port.

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

WS1 wrote: :) I thought I am not that bad. I must say though I am a big fan of Graham 1980. May I ask how long the bt was stationary (in your cellar) before you opened it? Most older wines/ports do not like being moved around. Hence I try to give them rest of 0.5 years + after being moved. Also I think you did not give the Graham the time it needs. Please next time (if you have bts left), stand up the bt for a day or so, open it 3 hours before decanting and let it breathe; then decant it for at least 1h. With this treatment you should get you more out of this port.
No - only teasing!

I thought this was a good, crowd-pleasing, fireside port. Something to settle back in the corner with and contemplate life. But i need to buy my life-time supply of G85/70 before i buy a case!

Bottle was stationary for only two months after being transported 50 miles from London to Henley. The decant was certainly sub-optimal, and i'm sure the main culprit because it was actually very good on the second day. I will not open my remaining bottle without proper time in the decanter.
Rob C.