1972 Offley

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1972 Offley

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

1972 Offley Boa Vista
I tried this following the slating that this wine received elsewhere. This is the tasting note I wrote:

A bottle that had clearly been cellared on its side, with good fill, good colour and a sound cork. Solid sediment remained in the bottle. Gorgeous burnt sienna colour, looking to be at perfect maturity. Very restrained nose, showing some faint floral perfume and a rather unpleasant soapiness. Sweet entry, perhaps a touch cloying, rather hollow and with a bitter soapy edge to the tongue. Bitterness is the dominating sensation. The fruit presence is light, the tannins are resolved to nothing but a faint dustiness; overall, not a great palate. A touch of heat on the aftertaste, before a delicious aniseed dominated finish of decent length - the finish is easily the best feature of this wine. This wine did improve in the glass and the impression after 4 hours was much better than after 1 hour. Drunk 30 October 2011. 81/100.

The short summary - not a great port, but I have had worse. Marginally preferable to a glass of water.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.