1994 Cockburn

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1994 Cockburn

Post by uncle tom »

I opened the first bottle out of this case late last year, and had a less than satisfactory experiance - not corked, but a persistant 'off' aroma that was hard to identify.

Now back to try another.

Decanted yesterday lunchtime. No strange smells this time, but initially rather lacking in composure and fiery.

28 hours on and it is more composed, but it is also a good example of a 'closed' wine - rather less approachable than some '94's, and very tannic and juvenile still. Has the overt fruitiness that I associate with the vintage.

Will see if it evolves some more over the next day or so..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I omitted to post the final chapter on this one - finally blossomed after 36 hours, scored 6-7

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Re: 1994 Cockburn

Post by uncle tom »

I re-visited this one recently, having plenty to hand, it's a wine I intend to re-visit roughly once a year.

Very similar experiance to before, although I detected a touch of the unruly teenage 'Kevin' factor. I was not quite as wowed this time it seems, as I gave it a score of 5-6 before checking my past notes.

Tom