1890 Burmester Novidade

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1890 Burmester Novidade

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Very kindly pulled by Axel from his cellar to be shared with a couple of guests.

Olive brown in colour, slightly green rim; 40% opaque. Colheita tones VA on the nose, Granny Smith apples and toasted hazlenuts dominate the nose.

Thick texture, huge concentration. Powerful acidity dominates the tip of the tongue and balances the soft treacle and dried fig flavours.

Flavoursome aftertaste, full of coffee. Huge length, that goes through waves where you think it has faded and then it comes back.

Fabulous concentrated wine. Drunk 1 Feb after 30 minutes decanting. 94/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1890 Burmester Novidade

Post by Axel P »

I got very intense mokka and coffee on the nose, paired with a wonderful freshness and some roasted nutty flavours that I did not expect from a Port with this age.

Long, concentrated and fully integrated palate with mostly malt and coffee notes, well supported by excellently structured acidity. Aftertaste went on extremely long. Unfortunately I finished my portion too early. 19/20

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1890 Burmester Novidade

Post by jdaw1 »

Axel P wrote:Unfortunately I finished my portion too early.
Not just you; not just this wine. It happens too often.