1969 Taylor Vargellas

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV

1969 Taylor Vargellas SQVP

Post by JohninNYC »

Aromas and flavors of dark chocolate, cranberry, strawberry, and plums (Then also some nutmeg when I revisited this wine)
Attachments
Label photo
Label photo
photo-81.JPG (80.36 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
John in NYC

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things: Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them."-Brillat-Savarin
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1969 Taylor Vargellas SQVP

Post by Glenn E. »

Color: on the slightly darker end of the "looks like Port" spectrum provided by the also-rans in this lineup. Good color, but not terribly notable.

Nose: violets and sweet cherry. Possibly a hint of wintergreen, but that's also possibly just a carryover from the '67.

Palate: nicely balanced. Good mouth feel. Not as sweet as the earlier Ports from the 60s, but that is very much a good thing. Improved with air time, and by the end I could almost detect some Christmas spices. The tannins and acidity here were not as nicely balanced as in the T70, but I think that might actually improve with more time. Maybe another 5 years to peak?

Score: 93 points. The best of the rest for me. Clearly not on par with the '70 or '94, but at the top of the rest of the pile by a slim margin over the '68 so I voted it 3rd on the night.
Glenn Elliott