1977 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV

1977 Taylor VP

Post by JohninNYC »

Aromas and flavors of sour cherry, plum, red currant, vanilla and nutmeg. When revisiting this wine, I picked up white chocolate.
John in NYC

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things: Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them."-Brillat-Savarin
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1977 Taylor VP

Post by Glenn E. »

Color: medium dark red or possibly garnet. One of the darker Ports of the night, though I can't remember exactly where it fit in the spectrum.

Nose: fairly standard nose for the evening - violets and cherry, though in this case the cherry was less sweet. I wouldn't call it sour, though... more of a neutral cherry. Possibly some darker bing cherry as well, or that might have been plum.

Palate: rich but not round. Medium full body, good tannins, but slightly lacking (though still pretty good) acidity. I agree with others who mentioned vanilla - the fancy brewed variety, not the cheap extract in the small bottles.

Score: 90 points. Possibly the most disappointing Port of the night, as I would normally expect this Port to be in the mid-90s. There was no obvious flaw... it just wasn't a great bottle.
Glenn Elliott