1995 Taylor Vargellas

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV

1995 Taylor Vargellas SQVP

Post by JohninNYC »

Aromas and flavors of mushrooms/earth, blackberry, plums, black currant. Upon revisiting this wine, also picked up on milk chocolate, cranberry, and vanilla bean.
Attachments
Label photo
Label photo
photo-85.JPG (70.36 KiB) Viewed 2064 times
John in NYC

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things: Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them."-Brillat-Savarin
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1995 Taylor Vargellas SQVP

Post by Glenn E. »

Color: The darkest Port in the lineup by a little bit over the 1994, mostly because this one is still purple while the 1994 is now simply deep garnet. Opaque in the center, though the light wasn't great.

Nose: Somewhat strange, though I hesitate to call it off. Slightly musty or possibly cardboard, though in my case that's not an indication of TCA because I'm immune to it. Also slightly vegetal though not green.

Palate: much different than the other Ports in the lineup. More tart, and despite the color the flavor is more toward the fresh red fruit end if the spectrum rather than purple or black fruits. My least favorite of the evening.

Score: 85 pts. A good Port, and surprisingly dark compared to the fully declared 1994, but not a rock star.
Glenn Elliott