1999 Ferreira LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1999 Ferreira Late Bottled Vintage

Post by Andy Velebil »

This was bottled in 2003 and I have no idea if this is a tradional or filtered LBV as the label doesn't indicate. There was no sediment when I decanted at 1400 hours today. I've had a few glasses so far and it is a solid LBV.

The color is very dark with just an almost imperceptible hint of fading at the very edge. The nose has dark cherry, plums, and vanilla and is very alluring. The palate is rather soft and a bit drying with a touch of warmth that sucks me in for more. There are hints of tobbaco, plums, and a dash of white pepper on the finish, which is rather long but not very complex. So far this is a very solid LBV that is not showing any signs of age, and actually seems like it would benefit from a few more years in the cellar. 88-89 points.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Its been about 6 hours now and the touch of heat earlier has mostly integrated leaving it with an even softer more feminine touch on the palate. I think I prefer it ever so slightly better with that touch of heat earlier. The finish is still about the same. This is a solid LBV and one that I've really enjoyed this evening. It offers a very good example of what a quality LBV should be, so no real change in my original score.