NV Niepoort White (Dry White)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Niepoort White (Dry White)

Post by Andy Velebil »

Cracked this baby about 3 minutes ago, so here is the first TN. Served well chilled in a standard Port style glass with no ice and no tonic, LOL!

Light honey color with some prominent orange highlights. Blueberry and some citrus on the nose, but this has more of a basic ruby nose than a dry white nose. The palate has some petrol, citrus fruit, a dash of orange peel, a very slight hint of plum, a healthy dose of acidity and some noticable tannins that leaves the mouth with a dry sensation. The finish isn't very long but I also don't expect it to be for a dry white. This is very refreshing to drink and far better than most inexpensive dry white Ports. Although this would probably make one heck of a Port and Tonic, it is best enjoyed chilled on its own.

86-87 points
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

The “petrol† doesn’t really appeal.

Post by jdaw1 »

The “petrol† doesn’t really appeal.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

LOL, I can understand that, but this was a nice bottle. A far cry from other dry whites that I've had. It almost seemed to have some age to it. I will have to ask about that when in the Douro.