1991 Morgan

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1991 Morgan Vintage Port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've just opened a bottle of Morgan 1991 and will post a tasting note later. Curiously - and I don;t remember this from the previous bottles I opened - the cork was branded across the length as opposed to the more usual branding along the length. The result of this was most odd since the cork was put into the bottle upside down.

Tasted after 1 hour:
Colour is a warm, mahogany red with a brown tone. The nose is well developed and reaches out of the glass while it sits on the desk as I write this note. Putting my nose into the glass brings out strawberry syrup, a hint of mint and some "old library book" dust. Wonderfully smooth entry, not overly sweet. Lots of mature fruit and a lovely woody structure, but the tannins are soft and pleasant. A long aftertaste, initially dominated by fruit by then the choclate from the tannins takes over and stays a long time.

This is tasty! I look forward to drinking it properly this evening.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1991 Morgan Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:Curiously ... the cork was branded across the length as opposed to the more usual branding along the length.
I have quite a few examples of this particular cork in my box of corks - I will check for this phenomenon when I get home on Sunday.

Derek

PS: I just had a thought - if Morgan 1991 did not hit the market until the auctions during the past 12 months there is a fair chance that I have drunk more Morgan 91 than any other man on the planet :lol: :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This particular bottle of wine was drink over a period of 4 days. Sadly, it did not integrate in the way that I expected it to and it was probably at its best 1 hour after opening.

Over the following 3 days, the spirit became less integrated and the fruit less pronounced. A shame as I have had other bottles that were excellent.

This particular bottle I would score as well below average, roughly in the middle of the bottom quartile but possible has the potential to improve so I shall award it 2-3 or 85/100.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.