NV Kopke Tawny 10YO

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Kopke Tawny 10YO

Post by JacobH »

Since the weather might even betray a bit of Summer, I thought I’d open a tawny.

Colour is red in the middle, fading to reddish amber as I tilt the glass and then a clear edge. On the nose, quite a lot of spices with coriander predominating. Then something similar to a strawberries and cream boiled sweet. In the mouth initially a bit of a sugar with some primary fruit. Again it reminds me of those artificial sweet flavours, but in this case cherry drops. Then the flavour mellows and there is a slightly hard bitter edge. Finally that fades away and there is a lovely nutty aftertaste, with great complexity and length which easily matures for a minute or longer. There is perhaps a bit too much sugar to make these pleasing for serious quaffing (it quickly degenerates to sticky mess), but for a few glasses it is very nice indeed.

The bottle is also, pretty much perfect. Port producers please note: green glass, stenciled text and embossing is almost certainly the way forward:
Attachments
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG (25.45 KiB) Viewed 1851 times