1997 Delaforce Corte

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1997 Delaforce Corte

Post by Andy Velebil »

Since I've never seen a TN on this one, except for the 95 point review that Wine Spectator gave it, so I though this would be a fitting start to the week...not to mention its been on death row for long enough.

Upon opening:
A really high grade cork that was tough to get out. Very very dark when I decanted it and the smell filled the room as soon as the cork came out. Beautiful blackberries, cassis, and black plums bring out a very appealing nose. The first sensation I get is its very silky on the palate with some intensely drying tannins. Then the fruit starts to fill the palate...dark berries, tobacco, lavender and a touch of alcohol on the back palate as the fruit slides easily down. This is followed by an attack of acidity then a rather medium/long finish. Pretty impressive on this initial sip right after opening, but I reserve judgement until the bottle is gone and I've seen how she's done over the long haul.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

+ 6 hours:
Nose has a much more prominent plum now. The palate has leaned out a little and the acidity is now in full swing. There are still plenty of tannins (make that tons of tannins) with the dark fruit still holding its own. Although not very complex, which is my only gripe. The finish has lengthened a bit, making it a tasty treat.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

+11 hours:
Still holding about the same as before. Although the tannins have started to mellow a bit. Overall this is a very good SQVP. My only gripe and the one major thing keeping this from a better score, is that is lacking a bit of complexity. This is still young and has plenty of life left in it, so if you own some there is no hurry. The remaining bottles I have will stay right where they are for another 5 years before I come back to one.
91 points
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Andy,

Could I be so bold as to say it sounds like a great Port, but not quite yet?

I think your more tolerant of youngsters than most on here, but when you talk of intensely drying tannins, I suspect that means I would have problems with it. Seems to score on all the other points, so one to keep[ an eye open for, even if it's just to lay down for a bit.

Alan