1970 Quinta do Bragao Colheita

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1970 Quinta do Bragao Colheita

Post by DRT »

From a bottle served at lunch on 2 Oct 07 at Quinta de Napoles.

This wine was produced by the Grandfather of Alexander Krogoll, one of the dinner guests, in honour of his Great Grandmother who was 100 years old in 1970 and who died at the grand old age of 105.

The wine we consumed was bottled in 1990 in a frosted glass bottle with a pink wax capsule.

This was a very enjoyable glass of port with all the hallmarks of a good Colhieta: rich golden brown colour, caramel and nuts on the nose and a thick mouthfeel. Very little heat, which was unexpected given the extended decanting time of around 15 seconds :smile:

It was a great honour to have the chance to enjoy a wine that is so very personal to the Krogoll family and my thanks go to Alexander and his Mother and Father for allowing me to share it with them.

Score:

Drinking pleasure = 11

Where's it going = 105

So, that's 11:105 on the Uncle Tom scale :smile:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Very special! :)
Do you have any information on where this quinta is located and to whom they usually supply their grapes? (I'm guessing Niepoort since you met them on Napoles?)
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Drinking pleasure = 11

Where's it going = 105

So, that's 11:105 on the Uncle Tom scale
Hmm..

Looks like you drank the whole bottle and more...

Tom :D
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ronnie,

I think the Quinta is near Pinhao and up to a few years ago the grapes went to Niepoort. Alexander has now gone into the Douro red market. I have his email address and will try to get more information shortly.

I have already secured an invitation to visit the Quinta if and when we get ourselves organised for a TPF douro trip :smile:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1970 Quinta do Bragào Colhieta

Post by JacobH »

May I please check the correct spelling of this Quinta’s name? Thanks!