1995 Smith Woodhouse LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

1995 Smith Woodhouse LBV (unfiltered)

Post by Frederick Blais »

One of those bilingual tasting notes :wink:

Garnet color with tawny edges, the nose is expressive on tobacco, red licorice, dried figs and red fruit presence dominated by ripe plums. On the palate, the tannins have melted, the flavours are similar to the nose with more intensity from the plums. The finish is acceptable from this category of Port, slightly alcoholic though. 16.5/20 Excellent LBV

Très beau nez, sur les note de réglisse,tabac, figues et un fruit dominé par la prune. En bouche, le vin est souple, les tannins sont fondus, les saveurs sont similaires au nez avec une présence de prune plus intense. La finale est de bonne longueur pour le type de Porto, légère touche d'alcool. 16.5/20 Un excellent LBV
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Fred

Is this an unfiltered style of LBV? Do you think it will continue to improve with more time in the bottle?

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

Yes it is an unfiltered LBV. For me it is a mature LBV at its peak, just like I like them. For my palate I don't think it will improve much, I'd drink my bottles over the next 5 years(max) if I had some more.