1986 Graham Malvedos

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

1986 graham malvedos

Post by Chris Doty »

It is the first real day of spring in NYC, but I am in my apartment, contemplating plans for the weekend and going through the games of Paul Murphy. This (375ml) bottle is my first from a few that were recently delivered, and is from the word 'go', my best experience yet with this wine.

Grown but not entirely mature. Lush but in a rugged, Indiana jones way - not dry per se, but somehow seeming calculated in its restraint.

A villainous deep garnet hue, though noticeably watery at the rim, cranberries, cartelized dates?! I mean, just really very good, firm a firm and gently anise kissed finish.
I haven't decanted it, and will do my best not to guzzle it too quickly. 94 (a monster score)

My next port tasting will be 85 vs 86 (graham, Fonseca, Taylor). 86 is up there in terms of highest quality non declared vintages, IMHO
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: 1986 graham malvedos

Post by benread »

Some years ago, we tasted Graham's VP against Malvedos and I seem to recall that this wine was either the WOTN or very close to it. Certainly, it is something I have looked out for since, but not yet managed to find. The 1987 Malvedos was very close in terms fo enjoyment too.

Enjoy your Easter (am I allowed to call it that in the US?!) quaffing.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!