2005 Quinta do Passadouro

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

2005 Quinta do Passadouro

Post by RonnieRoots »

Tasted March 2007:
All these ports were tasted at ProWein, and I only made short notes.

The quality of the 2005 ports was impressive. It looks like it will be at least a partly declared vintage, and I know I will be looking out for them.

Niepoort 2005 VP (Cask Sample)
Very good, jummy flavours and a very good balance. But somehow a bit less impressive than the 03.

Quinta do Vale D. Maria 2005 VP (Cask Sample)
Impressive. Very fresh, with mint and eucalyptus tones, and a stunning concentration. Lots of dark flavours. Fierce tannins, that are hardly noticable because of the density of the fruit. Best VP I've tasted from this producer.

Quinta de Passadouro 2005 VP (Cask Sample)
Elegant and lovely. Not a blockbuster, but very refined. I like it a lot.

Pintas 2005 VP (Cask Sample)
Great. Pintas is always very powerful, but this is the first time that the power is accompanied by extremely elegant flavoured. Dense and full, but very well balanced.

Pintas 2004 VP
Incredible fierce tannin structure, that is overpowering the fruit at this point. It's all there, but it needs time to get together. Very good though.

Ramos Pinto 2003 VP
Fairly light and supple. Nice, but nothing special.

Quinta do Crasto 2000 VP
I've tasted this port quite a number of times, and it is always very consistent in the 87-89 point range. This time is no exception: elegant and drinking very nice.

Croft Quinta da Roeda 1995 VP
Hmm, this seems to be ageing rather quickly. Tasted a couple of years ago and liked it very much then, but this bottle was already a bit old.