1997 Rozes LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1997 Rozes LBV (unfiltered)

Post by Axel P »

This was something I was waiting for quite a long time since I always was a fan of the relatively unknown Rozès 97 LBV. Yesterday evening I tried the Rozès LBV unfiltered and Vintage Port 1997 side by side. As the prices are relatively close together I was very keen getting to know the big brother as well.

LBV: very clear deep-red color with intense reflexes. Well structured. In the nose very spicy with hints of Süssholz (dont know the english word for it) and mocca coffee. On the tongue you feel the alcohol present. Very good sweetness and a good fruit layer behind it. Medium-long aftertaste.

VP: Pretty light red with some brownish tones in it (already age?). Medium structure. The nose was fruity with red berries and plums. Alcolhol present. In the mouth good alcolhol and tannins to let him age at least another 10-15 years with fruits in the background. Not too intense. Still asleep? Time will tell if everything falls into places.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Axel, sorry to be picky but could you split these up into individual tasting notes, please?

BTW, Babelfish says that Süssholz translates to 'Sweet Wood'. Not sure which one though.
Port is basically a red drink
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Alex, Süssholz is Glycyrrhiza. Look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycyrrhiza

Perhaps you do like this http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Liquo ... ts2003.jpg

Axel, I would say that Rozès VP 1997 does not show its best at the moment. It is quiet open, nice, but I am missing structure. I will wait another 5 years.

Rozès LBV 1997 is D for about 16 EUR. I do not know it. According to your TN, I should try one bottle.[/url]
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Liquorice, we're talking liquorice. Cool, now I know where we are. For the Dutch - drop, but you probably worked that out from the German, you clever linguists you.
Port is basically a red drink
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Re: 1997 Rozès LBV unfiltered and Vintage Port

Post by smisse »

2 years later, still a very nice red colour yet I seem to miss the brown tints.
Smooth drink with a intense black fruit taste and a prickling on the tongue.

Whilst I do like it, I will most certainly open the next bottle only 10yrs from now.