1970 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1970 Warre

Post by LGTrotter »

Feeling a little irked today I thought I might as well put the capstone on my mood by opening an anoymous bottle. The chap who sold it to me (for thirty five quid) said was Warre 1978 or 1972. I did not think that Warre produced either a '78 or a '72 so I was prepared for the worst. The cork was unambiguous; Warre vintage port 1970 bottled 1972.

And what a belter this is. Big nose when I opened it, lots of dry liquorice and fruit. No alcoohol to speak of which I always take as a good sign. I have a little sip as soon as I open a bottle to check it's not a dud, great length on the palate and absolutetly packed.

I have had some Warre 1970 which mentions Berry's on the label which I found rather pale and tired, not faulty but just tasted like they may have travelled a bit further than was good for them. This by contrast tastes full of life and although it is quite pink and it is a bit watery at the rim seem so much darker and no hint of browning. There has been a thread recently about how to manage a bottle of port seulment, well I could drink a gallon of this. I love the way Warre balances the sweetness and the tannins, it feels so very elegant and deep, I could go on maybe I will once it has been open a while longer. A fine advert for well kept bottles. 7-7. But my heart says 8-8
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1970 Warre

Post by jdaw1 »

LGTrotter wrote:belter
A wonderful technical term. Richly descriptive.