1963 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1963 Taylors Vintage Port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

9 hours double-decanted.

A Berry Brothers bottling and one which has been in their cellars ever since. Deep red but transparent center, colour holding into the rim. Sweet, ripe fruit nose. A touch of mustiness, brambles and obvious alcohol. Full bodied entry, sweet but with a fierce mid-palate pepperiness from the unintegrated alcohol. The tannins in the mouth are well integrated but the alcohol is fierce. The aftertaste starts with a lot of red licorice and a very hot finish but has good length and development. The heat in the mid-palate spoiled this for me and made a good port poor, certainly below the average of what I would expect to drink this year. Very difficult to predict how this port will develop with the extremely obvious alcohol. I rated this a score of 3/2 for current drinking or 85/100.

[Footnote: On Roy's suggestion we poured the remainder of this wine back into the decanter and came back to it at the end of the evening. With the additional 3 hours of time in the decanter, this wine had changed substantially with the alcohol having integrated beautifully. To me, this was the wine of the night (just) and I thank Paul for letting me have the last glass as a birthday present, but I admit to a bias for this particular port as it was the one I was given as a 21st birthday gift. Scoring after having put this back in the decanter for three hours would have been 9/9 or 94/100 - this will have been one of the 15 best bottles I will taste this year, although probably not one of the best 5.]
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 15:35 Sun 14 Oct 2007, edited 2 times in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Nice one. I tasted this recently (thanks to Stevie, who brought the bottle), and it was superb. That bottle will most likely end up being in the top 5 of this year. 88)