2011 Quinta de la Rosa

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

2011 Quinta de la Rosa

Post by djewesbury »

From a half; popped and poured after an excellent dinner.

We drank half and left half to examine tomorrow. Tonight the nose is muted and quite inexpressive. In the mouth however, the soft entry soon gives way to tannins that build progressively on the gums and tongue, and then a marvellously green, leafy finish. This is long, and the bitterness calls up coffee too, and there are kirsch cherries in there, but the fruit is not too pronounced at the moment.

A very tight, structured port. Even a biscuity character. Long after the main finish, earthy dark chocolate comes to the fore and lasts for an age.

This is quite excellent. What will it be like tomorrow, I wonder.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: 2011 Quinta de la Rosa

Post by djewesbury »

djewesbury wrote:What will it be like tomorrow, I wonder.
The suspense is over. Tonight the soft fruit is maybe a little more evident - blackberries, and raspberries too, with their floral fragrant flavours. The tannins are very firm but not overbearing. The finish is long, very long. Very earthy chocolate (chocolate from the West Indies), delicious bitterness, liquorice... I didnt treat the remainder very well today, finding the bottle sitting in the sun before putting it in the fridge. And yet it has come back gloriously. I'm going to buy some of this, once someone decides they're selling it.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

I notice that Waitrose own brand 2011 port features Quinta de la Rosa prominently on the label. I don't know if it is their standard blend or off cuts but at £30 a bottle and it being 'trose an' all I assume it is the good stuff.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:I notice that Waitrose own brand 2011 port features Quinta de la Rosa prominently on the label. I don't know if it is their standard blend or off cuts but at £30 a bottle and it being 'trose an' all I assume it is the good stuff.
Do Waitrose actually have a 2011 VP? And do they have an offer on if buying 6 (etc)?
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:Do Waitrose actually have a 2011 VP? And do they have an offer on if buying 6 (etc)?
Yes but for some reason I can't find it on the website (this can be a little flaky at times). I actually saw it in a shop, in Crewkerne to be precise. I am sure I have seen it advertised somewhere in one of their Christmas flyers too. They do a standard five percent off per six. Twice a year they do twenty-five percent off per six. They also do random price cuts of between 20 to 30 percent, especially it seems to me on new wines. It can be worth hanging on.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Worth copying your post into that thread about particular ports available from retailers..
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I would do but I've hurt my leg.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:I would do but I've hurt my leg.
Rest up there. Take it easy, open a bottle. Or rather, have Em open one for you. Rachel just snorted her Riesling out of her nose.

(We should stop defiling this Tasting Note now.)
Daniel J.