1990 Warre Cavadinha

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
AW77
Morgan 1991

1990 Warre Cavadinha

Post by AW77 »

quite a lot of sediment in the usual tea-filter I use, the cork was atomised into a lot pieces while opening the bottle, right after decanting the port smelled strongly of sweet liquorice, after 2 h: copper red colour, I used my notebook as a background to determine the colour, the sheets were chequered, you could see the lines even in the middle of the glass where the port was "darkest", hardly any liquorice in the nose any more, smelled more like bitter marzipan and a little bit of pepper, in general a very "Tawny"-nose, almost like a pale colheita, after 2,5 h: smells of leather, the port in general more reminds me of an Oloroso-Sherry (or to be more precise of a pale version of Lustau's East India Solera), the port was not that sweet (not the jammy sweetness that the 98 Cavadinha now has [when tasted at the Graham's Lodge in August 2013]), almost half-dry/off-dry, very short finish, 84 P. Drink up quickly.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port