1991 Quinta de Roriz

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
AW77
Morgan 1991

1991 Quinta de Roriz

Post by AW77 »

The Wein am Rhein (one of the better wine restaurants here in Cologne) offered this VP by the glass (as a dessert wine suggestion). On the rim some crimson colour. Smells initially of redcurrant, but then is dominated by leather (very strongly), the leather is also present in the mouth. Raisins in the aftertaste with a little bit of alcoholic heat. The finish is rather short. Not very impressive. As the wine tasted so old for a '91, I asked the Sommelière how long the bottle was open. The answer was: Three days. When I protested that this was too long for a VP, she assured me that the wine had hardly changed in this time. And besides "You don't dump a Vintage Port after a day" (what she didn't add was "when you can still sell the old VP for almost 10 Euros per glass".)
I think this should teach me a lesson: Next time I see a VP offered by the glass, I will definitely ask how long the bottle is open. And then pass, if it's open too long.
For half the price of the VP they offered a Niepoort 2007 LBV by the glass. Compared to the old VP that was delicous.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1991 Quinta de Roriz

Post by RonnieRoots »

I can assure you that in this case the sommeliere was right. This never was and never will be a very good port, no matter how freshly opened the bottle is.