1966 Quinta do Boa Vista

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
benread
Niepoort 1977

1966 Quinta do Boa Vista

Post by benread »

This is about to form part of tonights consumption with a friend. Described as bottled by Charles Kinloch & Co Ltd of NW10.

Is this Offley or was it independent at this point?

Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1966 Quinta do Boa Vista

Post by RAYC »

Sandeman acquired Offley in the early 60s (earlier than 66). I thought Offley had owned Quinta do Boa Vista since mid C19, although Jacob's notessuggest otherwise

Is it the same as Offley 1966...? No idea...
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think there is only one other "Quinta do Boa Vista" that I have seen, which I think was the 1983 when Offley produced two vintage blends in the same year: Offley Boa Vista and Offley Quinta do Boa Vista.

I suspect this is the Offley Boa Vista 1966 but it might not be as there are at least three Quinta do Boa Vistas in the demarcated region so it might not be from the one we know.

In summary, I don't know.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

benread wrote:This is about to form part of tonights consumption with a friend. Described as bottled by Charles Kinloch & Co Ltd of NW10.

Is this Offley or was it independent at this point?

Thank you.
The bottle you have was bottled in the UK and at that time the bottler/merchant could basically put whatever he wanted on the label as long as it wasn't a deception. I would have thought that this is a port that the UK merchant bought from Offley Boa Vista, probably the same juice but perhaps a special selection from the Quinta? In 1955 and in 1987 Offley bottled two different versions - one with Offley on the lable and one with Offley Boa Vista on the lable. Probably for different countries.

Regarding Offley Boa Vista 1966: Offley Forrester, the company declaring Offley Boa Vista, bought grapes from Quinta Boa Vista since the 1820s and acquired the property in 1866. Thus in 1966 it was the 100 year anniversary of Quinta Boa Vista belonging to Offley Forrester. The bottles I have drunk of the 1966 Vintage have all been marked "Offley Boa Vista Vintage 1966"
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

... or it might be from one of the other Boa Vista quintas, as suggested by other in this thread, although that is unlikely as the other Boa Vista quintas have not made any vintage port any other year.

How was it? The Offley Boa Vista 1966 is usually quite a good port.