1970 Berry Brothers

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1970 Berry Brothers

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This is a Warre 1970 but with a Berry Brothers label drunk on 31 March 2007 after 8½ hours in the decanter.

A lovely deep rose colour, slightly orange on the rim. Giving off lovely plum and caramel scents as I tip it in the glass to see the colour. A swirl produces a slightly harsh and less attractive earthy smell that makes me cough.

In the mouth this is a little rough at first, a touch too harsh and too acidic. This slowly fades to bring some more pleasant flavours of sweet, bruised plums but with too much alcohol coming through.

The aftertaste is good. Warm toast and then a good, solid dose of dark chocolate that lasts a good time.

Not a great port, pleasant enough and perfectly drinkable but not one that makes it to the average for the year and I can't see further time in the bottle really helping it. On Tom's scale I will give this 3-3 or 84/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.