2000 Quinta do Vesuvio

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

2000 Vesuvio

Post by Axel P »

In my opinion it is very unfair to line up the 2000 VPs together with some more and less developed VPs as the 2000s are totally in the reduction phase right now. If one is not aware of this, he might come to the conclusion, that the 2000 is not such a good vintage after all.

Back to the facts: these wines are not too much fun to drink now. The 2000 Vesuvio was breathing for 4 hours+ before I first tasted it: inky-black colour with no reflections; no signs of age, except the missing of the reflections. The nose was very closed with a complex structure somewhere underneath. On the palate the wine was fairly flat with all the good stuff somewhere hidden and not integrated. Average aftertaste with good alcoholic balance.

Kindermord!

Axel
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Axel,

I think this is a good example and assessment of 2000's right now. Promising future but leave them to sleep and grow up.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I presume the 'Reduction' phase is the one also refered to as 'Closed'. I think I know what is meant by that, ands I certainly recognise the taste. But does anyone fancy going for a definitive explanation?