1977 Quarles Harris

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1977 Quarles Harris

Post by DRT »

Cork broke - fabulous smell on decanting that filled the room. Quite light in colour and starting to brown. I did not taste this on decanting but now wish I had.

+21 Hours
Did not take a note at the time so this bit is from memory. Quite light but a very nice drinking port. Nothing spectacular about it, just a nice nightcap sort of wine.

+48 Hours
Amazing. This wine now has twice the weight and twice the depth of colour that it had yesterday and the day before. A nice raisin taste that develops into a very dry long finish.

I have a feeling that this wine would have shown very well immedietly after decanting, I wish I had tasted it. Last night it was decidedly unspectacular. Tonight it very, very nice. Tom has previously described wines going downhill and then pulling themselves back together. I think this is my first experience of that phenomenon.

Score: 6-5